Let me list for you some of the reasons for the present world unrest, reminding you that many of them are based upon causes which lie in so remote a past that history knows nothing of them, and they appear meaningless to you because you have no clear idea of the nature of early humanity. Some grasp of the essential situation will be of value if you are to follow development in the future intelligently.
First, the point reached by humanity itself is one of the major and primary causes. This evolutionary status has brought mankind to the threshold of a door upon the great path of evolution and has indicated an unfoldment which necessitates drastic changes in man's entire attitude to life and to all his world relations. These changes are being self-initiated by him and are not imposed upon him by an outside force or by the coercion of humanity in any form. This is an important point to be grasped. It might therefore be stated that;
1. Man is now at the point where the principle of intelligence is so strongly awakened within him that nothing can arrest his progress into knowledges which would be dangerously misused and selfishly applied if nothing were done to call a halt and thus safeguard him from himself—even at the cost of temporary pain. He must be taught to react to a higher and better sense of values.
2. Millions of human beings are now integrated or at the point of integration. They are beginning to function as a unity within themselves, preparatory to a higher process which will enable them consciously to integrate into the greater Whole. From the form side of manifestation, mind, emotion and brain are working in unison. Now the higher correspondence of these lower forces—wisdom, love and direction—must appear; the more subtle energies must be enabled to express themselves. Instinctively and mystically, humanity perceives that need with a clear definiteness. The instinct to go forward to higher achievement, to enquire and to search for that which is better, remains potent. Humanity can be trusted to push onward and to make progress. The Hierarchy of Love is, however, endeavouring to hasten the process, thereby taking the risk of complications in so doing.
3. Certain men and women in every field of human thought are expressing the potency of the unfoldment of their achieved integration and (if you will but believe it) the reality of their soul contact, by emerging out of the dead level of humanity. They stand forth above their fellows through the very force of their personality-integration and because they can function as high grade and idealistic persons. From the altitude at which they stand (relatively high from the human standpoint, and interesting from the hierarchical point of view), they are seeking to mould the racial thought and life to a certain pattern which seems to them—according to their inclination, type and ray—to be desirable.
These individuals in the fields of government, religion, science, philosophy, economics and sociology are having a united powerful effect, some of it of a high and good order, some of it not so good. They affect their civilisation materially if their emphasis is there; they produce a cultural effect subjectively and spiritually if that is the impression they seek. Their motives are often sound and good, for they all have a touch of true idealism, but—being as yet inexperienced in the ways of the soul—they make many mistakes, are sidetracked in dangerous ways and lead many people into error and trouble. In the long run, the result will be the awakening of the public consciousness, and that is ever good.
Second, the emerging of a new racial type. The subjective outlines of this type can already clearly be seen. So glamoured are we by the form side that many claims are made today that the new race is to be found in America. The new race is forming in every land, but primarily in those lands where the fifth or Caucasian races are to be found. Among the fourth race peoples, however, a few, such as those to be found among the Chinese and the Japanese, are being discovered by the Hierarchy and are making their real and esoteric contribution to the whole.
Let me also make one definite statement at this point which may cause some surprise. The fifth kingdom in nature, the spiritual, will emerge out of the fifth root race. Such is the esoteric control of the Law of Correspondence. I would remind you nevertheless that the only fourth root race people to be found upon our planet are the Chinese, the Japanese, the various Mongoloid races in Central Asia (and they are somewhat intermixed with the Caucasian race) and the hybrid groups found in the many islands in the southern waters in both oceans and hemispheres, as well as the descendants of the races which a million years ago made the South American continent famous for its civilisation. I am necessarily widely generalising.
The new racial type is far more a state of consciousness than a physical form; it is a state of mind more than a peculiarly designed body. In time, however, any developed state of consciousness invariably conditions and determines the body nature and produces finally certain physical characteristics. The outstanding type of awareness of the coming new race will be the widespread recognition of the fact of the mystical perception. Its primary quality will be the intuitive understanding and control of energy; its contribution to the development of humanity is the transmutation of selfish desire into group love. This can be seen working out noticeably even today in the attitudes of great national leaders who are not, as a rule, animated at all by selfish ambition, but are controlled by love of their nation and thus by some definite form of idealism—hence the great emerging ideologies. Ponder on this point, get a wider picture of the growth of the human consciousness, and grasp somewhat the goal of the new and coming educational system.
Third, the ending of the Piscean Age, which has brought to the point of crystallisation (and therefore of death) all those forms through which the Piscean ideals have been moulded. They have served their purpose and done a great and needed work. It might be asked here: What are the major Piscean ideals?
1. The idea of authority. This has led to the imposition of the different forms of paternalism upon the race—political, educational, social and religious paternalism. This may be either the kindly paternalism of the privileged classes, seeking to ameliorate the condition of their dependents (and there has been much of this; or the paternalism of the churches, the religions of the world, expressing itself as ecclesiastical authority; or the paternalism of an educational process.
2. The idea of the value of sorrow and of pain. In the process of teaching the race the necessary quality of detachment, in order that its desire and plans shall no longer be oriented to form living, the Guides of the race have emphasised the idea of the virtues of sorrow and the educational value of pain. These virtues are real, but the emphasis has been overdone by the lesser teachers of the race, so that the racial attitude today is one of sorrowful and fearful expectancy and a feeble hope that some reward (in a desirable and usually material form, such as the heaven of the various world religions) may eventuate after death, and thus compensate for all that has been undergone during life. The races today are steeped in misery and an unhappy psychological acquiescence in sorrow and pain. The clear light of love must sweep away all this and joy will be the keynote of the coming new age.
3. To the above thought must be coupled the idea of self-sacrifice. This idea has lately shifted from the individual and his sacrifice to the group presentation. The good of the whole is now held theoretically to be of such paramount importance that the group must gladly sacrifice the individual or group of individuals. Such idealists are apt to forget that the only true sacrifice is that which is self-initiated, and that when it is an enforced sacrifice (imposed by the more powerful and superior person or group) it is apt to be, in the last analysis, the coercion of the individual and his enforced submission to a stronger will.
4. The idea of the satisfaction of desire. Above everything else, the Piscean Age has been the age of material production and of commercial expansion, of the salesmanship of the products of human skill which the general public is educated to believe are essential to happiness. The old simplicity and the true values have been temporarily relegated to the background. This was permitted to continue without arrest for a long period of time because the Hierarchy of Wisdom sought to bring the people to the point of satiety. The world situation is eloquent today of the fact that possession and the multiplication of material goods constitute a handicap and are no indications that humanity has found the true road to happiness. The lesson is being learnt very rapidly and the revolt in the direction of simplicity is also rapidly gaining ground. The spirit of which commercialism is the indication is doomed, though not yet ended. This spirit of possession and the aggressive taking of that which is desired has proven widely inclusive and distinguishes the attitude of nations and of races as well as individuals. Aggression in order to possess has been the keynote of our civilisation during the past fifteen hundred years.
Fourth, the coming into manifestation of the Aquarian Age. This fact should provide the grounds for a profound and convinced optimism; nothing can stop the effect—growing, stabilising and final—of the new, incoming influences. These will inevitably condition the future, determine the type of culture and civilisation, indicate the form of government and produce an effect upon humanity, as has the Piscean or Christian Age, or the earlier period governed by Aries, the Ram or Goat. Upon these steadily emerging influences the Hierarchy counts with assurance, and the disciples of the world must likewise learn to depend upon them. The consciousness of universal relationship, of subjective integration and of a proven and experienced unity will be the climaxing gift of the period ahead of us.
In the coming world state, the individual citizen—gladly and deliberately and with full consciousness of all that he is doing—will subordinate his personality to the good of the whole. The growth of organised brotherhoods and fraternities, of parties and of groups, dedicated to some cause or idea, is another indication of the activity of the coming forces. The interesting thing to note is that they are all expressive of some grasped idea more than of some specific person's determined and imposed plan. The Piscean type of man is an idealist along some line of human development. The Aquarian type will take the new ideals and the emerging ideas and—in group activity—materialise them. It is with this concept that the education of the future will work. The idealism of the Piscean type and his life upon the physical plane were like two separate expressions of the man. They were often widely separated and were seldom fused and blended. The Aquarian man will bring into manifestation great ideals, because the channel of contact between soul and brain, via the mind, will be steadily established through right understanding, and the mind will be used increasingly in its dual activity—as the penetrator into the world of ideas and as the illuminator of life upon the physical plane. This will ultimately produce a synthesis of human endeavour and an expression of the truer values and of the spiritual realities such as the world has never yet seen. Such again is the goal of the education of the future.
What is the synthesis which will later be thus produced? Permit me to list a few factors without elaboration:
1. The fusion of man's differentiated spiritual aspirations, as expressed today in many world religions, into the new world religion. This new religion will take the form of a conscious unified group approach to the world of spiritual values, evoking in its turn reciprocal action from Those Who are the citizens of that world—the planetary Hierarchy and affiliated groups.
2. The fusion of a vast number of men into various idealistic groups. These will form in every realm of human thought and they in turn will gradually be absorbed into ever larger syntheses. I would call your attention to the fact that if the various educational groups found in the world today, in every country, were to be listed, certain underlying and analogous trends would appear: their wide diversification, their basic foundation upon some idea of human betterment and their unity of goal. Their many ramifications and subsidiary groups constitute a vast interlocking network throughout the world which is indicative of two things:
a. The steadily growing power of the man in the street to think in terms of ideals which are founded upon certain ideas and which have been put forward by some great intuitive.
b. The gradual upward shift of man's aspirational consciousness by these ideas, his recognition of the idealism of his fellow men and his consequent training in the spirit of inclusiveness.
This growing trend towards idealism and inclusiveness is, in the last analysis, a trend towards love-wisdom. The fact that men today misapply these ideals, lower the vision and distort the true picture of the desired goal, and prostitute the early grasp of beauty to the satisfaction of selfish desire, should not prevent the realisation that the spirit of idealism is growing in the world and is not, as in the past, confined to a few advanced groups or one or two great intuitives. The discussions of the man in the street are today connected with some political, social, educational or religious philosophy, based on some school of idealism. From the standpoint of Those Who are responsible for man's evolutionary development, a great step forward has been made in the last two hundred years. What were the themes of the intellectuals and the philosophers in the middle ages are today the points for animated discussion in restaurants, railway carriages, or wherever people consort, argue and talk. This is apt to be forgotten, and I would ask you to ponder on its implications and to enquire what is liable to be the final outcome of this widespread ability of the human mind to think in terms of the larger Whole and not only in terms of personal interest, and to apply forms of idealistic philosophy to the life of practical affairs. Today man does both these things.
What, therefore, does this indicate? It signifies a trend in the consciousness of humanity towards the fusion of the individual with the whole, without his losing, at the same time, his sense of individuality. Whether he joins a political party, or upholds some form of welfare work, or joins some of the many groups occupied with forms of esoteric philosophy, or becomes a member of some prevalent ism or cult, he is increasingly aware of an expansion of consciousness and of a willingness to identify his personal interests with those of a group which has for its basic objective the materialising of some ideal. Through this process it is believed that the conditions of human living will be bettered or some need will be met.
This process is going on today in every nation and in all parts of the world, and a census of the world educational groups and the world religious groups (to mention only two out of many possible categories) would prove the staggering number of such bodies and affiliations. It would indicate the differentiation of thought, and at the same time substantiate my conclusion that men are everywhere turning towards synthesis, fusion, blending and mutual cooperation for certain [Page 125] visioned and specific ends. It is, for mankind, a new field of expression and of enterprise. Hence the frequent misapplications of the newer truths, the distortion of the values sensed and the perversion of the truth to suit individual aims and ends. But as man gropes his way along these lines, and as the many ideas and the various ideologies present to him points of choice and indicate emerging standards of living and of relationship, he will gradually learn to think with greater clarity, to recognise the differing aspects of truth as expressions of a basic subjective reality, and—relinquishing no part of the truth which has set him or his group free—he will learn also to include his brother's truth along with his own.
When this attitude has been developed in the field of practical education we shall find nations and individuals developing the ideas which seem to suit the national or personal psychology, yet recognising the reality, potency and usefulness of the point of view of other individuals and nations. When, for instance, the ideas contained in the teaching on the seven rays are of general recognition, we shall find the growth of psychological understanding, and the nations and the world religions will arrive at mutual understanding
[EDUCATION IN THE NEW AGE, pp116-25]
The rays and the present world situation
It is of major interest for us to know something about the energies and forces which are producing the present international situation and presenting the complex problems with which the United Nations are confronted. In the last analysis, all history is the record of the effects of these energies or radiations (rays, in other words) as they play upon humanity in its many varying stages of evolutionary development. These stages extend all the way from those of primeval humanity to our modern civilisation; all that has happened is the result of these energies, pouring cyclically through nature and through that part of nature which we call the human kingdom.
To understand what is today taking place we must recognise that these energies are seven in number. They are called by many names in many different lands, but for our purposes the following seven names will be used:
1. The energy of Will, Purpose or Power, called in Christian lands the energy of the Will of God.
2. The energy of Love-Wisdom, called frequently the Love of God.
3. The energy of Active Intelligence, called the Mind of God.
4. The energy of Harmony through Conflict, affecting greatly the human family.
5. The energy of Concrete Knowledge or Science, so potent at this time.
6. The energy of Devotion or Idealism, producing the current ideologies.
7. The energy of Ceremonial Order, producing the new forms of civilisation.
These energies are ceaselessly playing on humanity, producing changes, expressing themselves through successive civilisations and cultures, and fashioning the many races and nations.
This in no way infringes upon man's freewill; these forces have both their higher and their lower aspects and men respond to them according to their mental and spiritual development, and so do nations and races as a whole. Humanity has reached a point today where there is a most sensitive response to that which is higher and better.
This teaching anent the seven rays remains a profitless speculation unless it is susceptible of investigation, of eventual proof and of general as well as particular usefulness. Too much is written at this time which will have to be relegated to the discard as useless, as not warranting acceptance as a possible hypothesis and as not demonstrating a truth which can be proved. I am, therefore, seeking here to do two things:
1. Indicate, as you have seen, a new and powerfully efficient esoteric psychology, and also
2. Show the lines of development which are inevitable, for the reason that certain major potencies are coming into play at this time. Certain forces are becoming increasingly active whilst others are steadily becoming quiescent. It is these active forces which we will now consider.
I would like to pause here and point out that these forces come into play either cyclically or through demand. This is an interesting point for students to remember. The work done through the Great Invocation is not then necessarily invalid. It might perhaps clarify the subject if I pointed out that there are five energies (and there are usually five dominant ray energies active at any time) coming into play:
1. Those energies which are passing out of manifestation, as the sixth Ray of Devotion is at this time passing out.
2. Those energies which are coming into manifestation or incarnation, as the seventh Ray of Ceremonial Order is at this time emerging into expression.
3. Those energies which are — at any given time — expressing the ray type of the bulk of the manifesting humanity. Today these ray types are predominantly the second and the third. Relatively large numbers of first ray egos are also to be found acting as focal points for certain first ray forces.
4. Those energies which are today being invoked as the result of human need and human demand for succour. This demand curiously enough remains largely in the realm of the first ray influence for the desperate need of humanity is evoking the will aspect and that ray embodies the divine will-to-good and remains immutable and is — for the first time in the history of humanity — being invoked on a large scale. This statement is definitely encouraging, if you study its implications.
You have, therefore, in the present field of divine expression the following energies manifesting:
1. The energy of idealism, of devotion or of devoted attention, embodied in the sixth ray.
2. The energy whose major function it is to produce order, rhythm and established, sequential activity — the seventh Ray of Ceremonial Ritual.
3. The energy of the second ray, which is always basically [Page 6] present in our solar system, that of love-wisdom, to which many of the egos now in incarnation belong and will increasingly belong. The next one hundred and fifty years will see them coming into incarnation. The reason is that it is to this type of human being that the work of reconstruction, and of re-building is naturally committed.
4. The energy of intelligence, actively displayed in creative activity. The creative ability of the future will emerge on a relatively large scale in the realm of creative living and not so much in the realm of creative art. This creative living will express itself through a new world of beauty and of recognised divine expression; through the outer form, the "light of livingness" (as it is esoterically called) will show. The symbol and that for which it stands will be known and seen. This is the energy of the third Ray of Active Intelligence, working towards the manifestation of beauty.
5. The energy of the will aspect of divinity. This has been but little expressed and understood by humanity up to the present, but the time has now come when it must be better comprehended. The demand from our innumerable planetary forces has not hitherto been adequate to invoke it and for its invocation the great Lord of the World has patiently waited. The call has now gone forth. Its first faint notes were heard two hundred years ago and the sound and demand has increased in volume and potency until today this great energy is making its presence unmistakably felt.
I am anxious to have you realise the potency and the effect of these energies as they play upon our planet, evoke response — good and bad — and produce the turmoil [Page 7] and chaos, the warring forces and the beneficent influences. They, therefore, account in their totality for all that we see happening around us at this time. In the books which are being written today in an effort to solve the problems of the why and the wherefore of present world conditions, the writers are necessarily dealing only with effects. Few there are that can penetrate into the distant world of causes or look back into the that ancient past and see past and present in their true perspective. I, however, seek to deal with causes — predisposing, effective, determining, and productive of those events which cause the present state of affairs. I deal with energies; they are concerned with resultant forces. I would remind you here that these effects which are producing so much fear, foreboding and concern are but temporary and will give place to that ordered, rhythmic imposition of the needed idealism which will be applied eventually by love, motivated by wisdom in cooperation with intelligence. All will be actuated by a dynamic (not a passive) will-to-good.
We will divide what I have to say under two points:
1. The situation and its ray causes in the immediate present.
2. The situation in the future when the Aquarian Age is really established and the Piscean influences are no longer dominant.
Before we take up these points, however, I have a few introductory comments to make. These it is essential that you should study and comprehend for upon their right acceptance and understanding will depend the benefit you will gain from my teaching upon these points.
It is a truism to remark that the history of the world is based on the emergence of ideas, their acceptance, their transformation into ideals, and their eventual superseding by the next imposition of ideas. It is in this realm of ideas that humanity is not a free agent. This is an important point to note. Once an idea becomes an ideal, humanity can freely reject or accept it, but ideas come from a higher source and are imposed upon the racial mind, whether men want them or not. Upon the use made of these ideas (which are in the nature of divine emanations, embodying the divine plan for planetary progress) will depend the rapidity of humanity's progress or its retardation for lack of understanding.
Humanity is today more sensitive to ideas than ever before, and hence the many warring ideologies and hence the fact that — in defence of their plans — even the most recalcitrant of the nations has to discover some idealistic excuse to put before the other nations when occupied with any infringement of recognised law. This is a fact of great significance to the Hierarchy for it indicates a point reached. The major ideas in the world today fall into five categories which it would be well for you to bear in mind:
1. The ancient and inherited ideas which have controlled the racial life for centuries — aggression for the sake of possession and the authority of a man or a group or a church which represents the State. For purposes of policy such powers may work behind the scenes but their tenets and motives are easily recognisable — selfish ambition and a violently imposed authority.
2. Those ideas which are relatively new such as Nazism, Fascism, and Communism, though they are not really as new as people are apt to think. They are alike on one important point, i.e. The State or community of human beings counts as of importance whilst the individual does not; he can be sacrificed at any time for the good of the State or for the so-called general good
3. The idea, neither old nor particularly new, of democracy in which (supposedly but as yet never factually) the people govern and the government represents the will of the people.
4. The idea of a world state, divided into various great sections. This is the dream of the inclusively-minded few, for which many regard humanity as yet unready. Towards this the entire world is headed in spite of its many ideologies, each fighting with each other for supremacy and oblivious of the important fact that all these ideologies may be temporarily adapted to the groups or nations who adopt them. They are none of them suitable for general use (and I say this equally of democracy as of any other ideology); they suit well in all probability the nations who accept them and mould their national life on their premises; they are only transitory substitutes in this transition period between the Piscean and the Aquarian ages and cannot permanently last. Nothing as yet is permanent. When permanency is reached, evolution will cease and God's plan will be consummated. And then? The greatest revelation of all will come at the close of this world period when the human mind, intuition and soul consciousness is such that understanding will be possible.
5. The idea of a spiritual Hierarchy which will govern the people throughout the world and will embody in itself the best elements of the monarchial, the democratic, the totalitarian and the communistic regimes. Most of these groups of ideologies have latent in them much beauty, strength and wisdom, and also a profound and valuable contribution to make to the whole. Each will eventually see its contribution embodied under the control of the Hierarchy of the Lords of Compassion and the Masters of the Wisdom. The restoration of the ancient Atlantean control by the spiritual forces is still in the future but the Aquarian Age will see the restitution of this inner and spiritual guidance on a higher turn of the spiral.
All this must inevitably be brought about by the work of those who function on one or other of the five controlling rays to which I have referred above. Nothing can stop or truly impede their united effect. This is a point I would have you remember. Modern man is apt to condemn the ideology which is not familiar to him and for which he has no use. He repudiates those ideas which do not lie at the back of his national and personal life or tradition and which would not suit him as an individual nor meet the need of the nation to which he belongs.
The recognition of these facts would lead to two results if correctly applied: first, the individual who accepts and is devoted to a particular ideology would cease fighting other ideologies for he would remember that the accident of birth and of background is largely responsible for making him — as an individual — what he is and determining his beliefs. And, secondly, it would bring to an end the attempt to impose a personally or nationally accepted ideology (political or religious) on other nations and persons. These are basic steps towards eventual peace and understanding and hence I emphasise them today.
It will be of value next if I connect up the three major planetary centres of energy with the five rays which are today working towards the consummation of the Plan for the race at this time. Three of these streams of energy are working powerfully in the world at this time and two others are struggling for expression. Of these latter, one is struggling towards domination and the other is struggling to hold on to that which it has so long controlled. This refers to the incoming seventh ray and the outgoing sixth ray. They constitute, in their duality, the reactionary and the progressive forces which are seeking to govern human thought, to determine natural and human evolution and to produce widely divergent civilisations and culture — one of which would be the perpetuation and crystallisation of that which now exists and the other would be so entirely new, as an outgrowth of the present world upheaval, that it is difficult for the average student to conceive of its nature.
These five energies together will determine the trend of world affairs. The problem before the Hierarchy at this time is so to direct and control these powerful activities that the Plan can be rightly materialised and the close of this century and the beginning of the next see the purposes of God for the planet and for humanity assume right direction and proportion. In this way, the new culture for the relatively few and the new civilisation for the many during the coming age will start in such a manner that the peoples of the earth can go forward into an era of peace and true development — spiritual and material. I would like to remind you that the fact that you see the world picture as one of outstanding chaos, of striving ideologies and warring forces, of the persecution of minorities, of hatreds which are working out into a furious preparation for war, and of world anxiety and terror does not really mean that you are seeing the picture as it is in reality. You are seeing what is superficial, temporal, ephemeral and entirely concerned with the form aspect. The Hierarchy is primarily occupied, as you know well, with the consciousness aspect and with the unfoldment of awareness, using form as a means only for the accomplishment of its designs. A closer study of the forces which are producing the outer turmoil may serve to clarify your vision and restore confidence in God's plan and its divine love and loveliness. Let us, therefore, consider these forces and their originating centres, and thus acquire perhaps a new vision and a more constructive point of view.
[THE DESTINY OF THE NATIONS, pp 3-12]