During the incarnation of the personality on earth, the soul is in deep contemplation. To contemplate involves steady vision, one-pointedly directed towards a specific object. The Soul or Solar Angel might be regarded as gazing in three directions.
1. Towards the Light Supernal, towards that central Life or energy [the Sun] which holds hid within Itself the purpose and plan towards which all Beings tends. What that directive force may be, what is the secret of Being Itself is only revealed during the more advanced initiations.
2. Over the kingdom wherein the Solar Angel reigns supreme, over the word of souls, or egoic impulses, of hierarchical work and pure thought. It is the state whereof disciples are becoming increasingly aware, wherein initiates work, and from which the Masters in Their graded ranks direct the evolutionary process of the Planet. This is the state towards which we are working to in our humble endeavours.--- These two directions in which the soul looks constitute the world of its spiritual experience and the object of its aspiration. Let it not be forgotten that the spiritual man, the Solar Angel, has also his goal of endeavours, and that His become the predominant impulse once the subjugation of the vehicles in the three worlds is brought about. Just as the fully intelligent human being can only begin consciously to function as a soul and to contact the kingdom of souls, so only the fully active and dominant soul, in which the buddhic principle is potentially controlling, can begin to contact the state of pure Being in which the Monad or Spirit eternally rest. --- The development of the intellect in man marks his fitness for the work of treading the Path, back to full soul consciousness. The development of the buddhic or love-wisdom aspect in the Solar Angel demonstrates his fitness for further progression in the awareness of the state of pure Being.
3. The third direction in which the Soul looks and wherein he exercises the faculty of contemplative vision is towards his reflection in the three worlds. The object of the long struggle between the higher and the lower man has been to make the lower responsive to and sensitively aware of the forces emanating from the Soul as the Soul “contemplates” his triple instrument. So many factors govern this awakening, and each aspirant has to determine for himself the order and mode of his awakening, in connection with the centres.
For instance, the centre between the eyebrows, commonly called the third eye, has a unique and peculiar function, and manifest as a result of the vibratory interaction between the forces of the Soul, working through the pineal gland, and the forces of the personality, working through the pituitary body. These negative and positive forces interact, and when potent enough, produce the light in the head. Just as the physical eye come into being in response to the light of the sun, so the spiritual eye equally comes into being in response to the light of the spiritual Sun. As the aspirant develops he becomes aware of the light in all forms, veiled by all sheaths and expressions of the divine life and not just the light within the aspirant himself. As the awareness of this light increases so does the apparatus of vision develop, and the mechanism whereby he can see things in the spiritual light comes into being in the etheric body. This is the eye of Shiva, for it is only fully utilized in the magical work when the monadic aspect, the will aspect, is controlling. By means of the third eye the soul accomplishes three activities:
1. It is the eye of vision. By its means, the spiritual man sees behind the forms of all that contacts the soul within all forms.
2. It is the controlling factor of the magical work. All white magical work is carried intelligent will. [From the Monad or Spirit.] In other words, the soul knows the Plan, and when the alignment is right and the attitude correct, the will aspect of the divine man can function and bring about results in the three words. The organ used is the third eye.
3. It has a destructive aspect and the energy flowing through the third eye can have a disintegrating and destroying effect. It can, through its focused attention, directed by the intelligent will, drive out physical matter and is the agent of the Soul in the purificatory work.
Thus in the growth of a conscious understanding of the individual part to be played in the working out of the plan and in the rendering of the personality subject to the Soul, will come the steady progress of humanity towards its goal of world service. In man’s achievement and spiritualization is the hope of the world. Mankind itself is the world Saviour, of which all world Saviours have been but the symbol and the guarantee. How can we, as individuals, bring this about? By developing in ourselves of Harmlessness.